Kyle Walker has apologised after it was reported the Manchester City defender flouted coronavirus lockdown guidance to party with two sex workers during quarantine.
City released a statement saying the club was disappointed by the allegations and would hold an “internal disciplinary procedure.”
The Premier League season has been suspended because of the COVID-19 pandemic, with people in the United Kingdom currently restricted to one hour outside the house for daily exercise.
The Guardian’s Jacob Steinberg cited a report from the Sun, which said Walker and a friend “paid £2,200 for escorts Louise McNamara and a 24-year-old Brazilian woman” to visit his home last Tuesday.
A statement from the England international read:
“I want to take this opportunity to issue a public apology for the choices I made last week. I understand that my position as a professional footballer brings the responsibility of being a role model. As such, I want to apologise to my family, friends, football club, supporters and the public for letting them down.”
He added his actions were in “direct contrast to what I should have been doing regarding the lockdown.”
Walker was previously active via his social media accounts regarding the public staying safe during the state of lockdown:
His breach of the protocols came less than one week after Aston Villa captain, Jack Grealish, was pictured at the scene of an accident where his Range Rover had crashed into a set of parked cars in Solihull, per the Independent.
The 24-year-old was alleged to have been partying into the early hours of the morning shortly before the crash was reported.
Grealish—who also told his followers to stay at home to ease the burden on the NHS—took to social media and apologised, saying he was “deeply embarrassed” by the incident:
Walker would have been part of the England squad to take part at Euro 2020 before UEFA postponed the tournament by 12 months, while Grealish was hoping to earn his first senior cap.